Site Stats

Kotagede Mosque, the oldest mosque in Yogyakarta

On Friday, October 7, 2011 0 komentar
Kotagede Mosque is one of the oldest mosque in Yogyakarta Indonesia. The mosque founded by Sultan Agung of Mataram king was thought to have stood in the mid-17th century AD, around the year 1640. So now the mosque is more than 350 years old. Some other old mosques after the reign of Senopati which is still found is Sultoni Wotgaleh Berbah Mosque, Mosque Pajimatan Imogiri established and the Mosque of Sultan Agung Giriloyo eat Sunan Cirebon. Kotagede mosque construction in 1640 or when reign of Sultan Agung conjunction with the construction of the tomb complex Imogiri. Kotagede Mosque until recently also frequently visited by pilgrims. In the month of fasting, the mosque was also one of the favorite places of Muslims who want to run Itikaf. One of the unique activities at the mosque include tarawih prayers in congregation at 24.00 pm.

To go to Masjid Kota Gede, is straightforward. Located not far from the Market area Ngeksigondo Kotagede and that is the center of silver handicrafts. Besides the mosque, the complex also contained the tomb of the founder of the Mataram dynasty, and his father Ki Panembahan Senopati Pemanahan Savior and his family. In that place there is also a bathhouse called Spring Selirang. The entrance to the mosque complex could be through the front door and gate or gate-shaped paduraksa made of brick. It also can pass through the northern gate, through the village Kudusan. When the entrance gate paduraksa we can not see directly the mosque because of unobstructed wall so that visitors require a right turn first. The gate is a form of tolerance Paduraksa Sultan Agung on residents who helped build the mosque which is still much to Hinduism and Buddhism. On the outside of the core of the drum there is an old mosque next to the kentongan. Drum whose age was not lost with the old mosque was a gift from someone named Nyai Pringgit Dondong originating from the village, an area in Kulon Progo Regency. For his services to the drum, the descendants of Nyai Pringgit given the right to occupy the area around the mosque, later named Dondongan. While the drum gift, is still pronounced as a marker of prayer time.

A pulpit to preach that are made of beautifully carved wood can be found on the inside of the mosque, next to the imam leading the prayer. The pulpit was also a gift. When Sultan Agung perform the pilgrimage, he stopped to Palembang to visit one of the duke in that place. In appreciation, the duke of Palembang to the pulpit. The pulpit is now rarely used because it deliberately protected from damage. In lieu of the pulpit, the locals use small pulpit for the benefit of daily worship. Walking around the courtyard, will be found a difference in the wall surrounding the mosque building. The left side wall consisting of brick that is larger, the more red color, and there are stones like marble surface is written in Java script. While another wall has a brick-colored somewhat younger, smaller size, and plain. The wall on the left the mosque that was built during the great Sultan, while another wall is the result of renovations Pakubuwono X. The wall that was built during the great Sultan of sugar palm water adhesive that can be more powerful so petrified. Mosque, which has hundreds of years old it is still seen alive. Locals still use it as a place to carry out religious activities. When it comes during the prayer time, will see dozens of pilgrimage. Outside prayer times, many people who use the mosques for a place to communicate, learn the Qur'an, and others.

More Article:

0 komentar:

Post a Comment